
I try to always sing a few songs with Lincoln before bed and I always sing Primary songs. We also got him My First Book of Mormon Stories for Christmas, so we read a story or two out of that. I have just recently begun to realize, or think about, the responsibility I have as a parent to teach him about Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. As I sing him songs like "I am a Child of God", "A Child's Prayer," and "Love is Spoken Here", I am filled with gratitude of the knowledge I have & the opportunity I have to teach Lincoln the same things. I am so grateful and humbled that I have been entrusted with such a role and hope that I can do as good of a job teaching him as my parents did with me.
One thing that has begun to really hit me recently are the words to "I am a Child of God."
I am a child of God
And he has sent me here
Has given me an earthly home
With parents kind and dear.
While singing this to Lincoln, I always think about the role the Spirit played in bringing him to our home. Us knowing the right time to submit our adoption papers, Lincoln's birthmom choosing us, the overall simplicity of our adoption. Never once have I doubted that Lincoln is our son and was meant to come to our family. And as difficult a road as it was, I am so grateful that he was sent to us the way he was. I wouldn't change it for anything. I love that I am his mom and that I get to teach him that he is a child of God.


7 comments:
you're awesome. i loved that post. Thanks for sharing. You are such a wonderful mom..and I love looking at your blog.
i'm gonna count this as my scripture reading for the week.
I can't sing that song to Ammie with out wanting to cry. It is true and so daunting as a parent to think of the responsibilities of teaching these spirits that we are entrusted with. Wow.
I am so glad that you have Lincoln and especially that Lincoln has you for parents. He is one lucky little boy!
I have also been having these feelings and thoughts about having the responsibility to teach McCoy the gospel and the love our Heavenly Father has for him. I love that picture! I actually just got a little one of it to frame yesterday. I also love singing I am a child of God to McCoy. His birthmother gave me a beautiful gift for Mother's day last year with those words on it. And it makes me cry everytime I look at it to think what a wonderful gift she gave McCoy to have parents, both a mom and a dad, on this earth!
You are truly an inspiration to me! Thank you for sharing this!! Love ya girl!
Some of my sweetest memories are of bedtime and singing to my little ones. I love when they are so quiet and look at you and listen. No matter how bad you sound, they love it!
Post a Comment