I know I'm behind in my blogging, but I'm not going to take the time to catch up right now. I just want to ask my faithful readers a quick question: Has anyone ever taken a cross-country road trip with a one-year-old? Any good/bad experiences and suggestions would be appreciated!
10 comments:
Took a half way cross country plane trip with a 4 month old, not bad, I wouldn't recommend it with a one year old, I dread having to do it if the chance ever comes.
Yikes. I wouldn't dare. I dread even driving to Salt Lake with Ammie, but she is kind of a pill about being in the car.
We've taken several one-day car trips with Liam and Daniel, and they've always done pretty well. For us it works best to have someone sit in the back seat and entertain the kids. It's especially nice when they sleep most of the way. But it seems that last couple hours are always rough because they're sick of being stuck in their car seats.
We've taken a many trips across the country. If he likes a binky pack a bunch of them because he'll thrown them and you won't be able to find them. Over prepare with all of his favorites like snacks and favorite toys. We always traveled at night and that helped. Also if you have a dvd player and he likes movies bring them. Good luck!l
We've made the 18 hour trip to Utah twice now. Both times driving through the night. Ellia was a champ because she slept most of the way, and when she was awake, having someone in the back to entertain was a plus.
Where are you thinking of going? I want to go on a good trip!!
We're wanting to go to Nauvoo in June and are debating between flying and driving. We definitely wouldn't try to do it in one day, but we don't want to take forever getting out there, either.
I took Kaleb to Venezuela when he was a one year old and it was okay--wouldn't recommend. I also took him when he was only 6 months and that was easy. I think it depends on the child--how active he is. Andrea took her boy this year to Venezuela with us and that was horrible for her but then again, she didn't have her husband with her. Those dvd things in the car are really handy for car trips. . .
I've taken a few car trips with the kiddos. First, buy toys that will be new to him. I realize he's only one, but something that is new is always a treat. Save these for the times when he is upset and needs distraction. Bring favorite toys too. When possible I sit in the back seat with them, just so they know I'm there and I can play with them easier...another distraction technique. My kids have always done better than I expect them to. I think maybe it's because I plan for the worst! Anyway, it's definitely possible, but I can see how it'd be harder for people with really active children. I guess it would depend mostly on their personality. Anyway, good luck!
I am not sure but we are going to SG with the twins in March. I will let you know how that goes. I have lived in fear though...but maybe cause there is 2!! If your trip is before leave me a comment and let me know how it goes!
just the one flight to south carolina...but he was two, and we will never be doing that anytime soon. Good luck, where are you going?
Post a Comment