Friends & Family

Our Adoption Profile

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

i'm proud to be an american


I've never really given much thought to Veteran's Day. In high school, it usually meant an assembly and an opportunity to get out of class, which was always exciting. When I worked for the state, it meant a day of work, which was even better! But today, I thought more of it. Tonight at Scouts (Dan and I are Den Leaders) our Scoutmaster had a friend of his who served 2 tours during the Vietnam War come and talk to the boys. He just let them ask questions and they were interested in the machinery of war. They asked about machine guns and bazookas (Side note here: I love the scene in "Patch Adams" where Robin Williams is scaring the squirrels away so his roommate can go to the bathroom and does so with a bazooka) and jets and tanks, etc. But in the midst of answer those questions, this gentleman said a few things about war itself, such as the fact that he was a platoon leader and his main concern was keeping his men alive. While he was talking, I was filled with gratitude for all the men and women who have served this country in order to give us our freedom. We really are so lucky and I know I constantly take it for granted. I can't imagine what it was and is like for those who have had to fight and for their families. I hope and pray that I will never have to send my sons off to war, but if I do, I know it will be for a great cause--to protect what this country stands for and to help others have what we have. Thank you so much to all who have protected my liberty and my freedom.

2 comments:

Heidy said...

thanks for that post. I love patriotism. It also reminded me that it was vetrins day and to tell Austin "happy veternins day" Lincoln is getting so big. He is such a cutie.

Sami said...

Hey, thanks for your comment on my blog! I can't believe you have that fear too! I know only one or two other people that have it too. It's called amidaphobia (I googled it a few months ago...). Do you ever wonder what the heck you are going to do when your kid get older and starts puking? AH! Worst nightmare realized!