Friends & Family

Our Adoption Profile

Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

pyzam templates

So, I've been wanting to give our blog a facelift for awhile now, but didn't because I knew that if I used a template off pyzam.com like I wanted to, I would lose all my page elements. So, today I took it upon myself to figure out how to do it without losing all my stuff. It took me a long time (let's say nothing really got accomplished at my house today besides taking care of Lincoln and blogging) but I finally figured it out. Now, maybe some of you out there already know this, but I know there are some of my friends who have had the same question. So, here's the solution:
*Go into the layout tab and select "Edit HTML"
*Copy the whole HTML code and paste into Notepad or Word or something. (This is how I found it easiest. Once you know how to do it, you can probably skip this step.)
*Copy the HTML code of the new template into a separate Notepad or Word window, so you have two open.
*In both sets of code, you will need to find where the code for your widgets/page elements start. It looks like this: < b:widget id= .... (The first one should be for your Header.)
*Once you find this in both codes, you will want to replace everything above this in the old code with everything above the same line in the new code.
*You'll now have a new code that contains all the information for the new template but maintains all the page elements of the previous template. Just copy and paste this into the "Edit HTML" box on Blogger and it should work. Just make sure to preview it to make sure before you save it!

Let me know if you have any questions--I hope it makes sense!

4 comments:

Fords said...

Yeah!! I am so glad that you posted this so that I can change my blog more frequently. I HATED changing and having to put all of the elements back on. Thanks a ton!!

Ryan said...

Ashley, your husband is a computer programmer. That's all I have to say about that.

Unknown said...

Actually, I didn't help one bit. I was very impressed that Ashley was able to figure this out without any help from me. She is just smart and that's all there is to it.

Katy said...

So, I am totally testing this out right now...wish me luck!!