Friends & Family

Our Adoption Profile

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

love this boy


After reading a few heartbreaking adoption stories this week (here and here)I am so grateful for Lincoln. I cannot even begin to imagine what these mothers who are having to give back their children are feeling. I put myself in their shoes and I get sick to my stomach. I've realized how lucky we are that Lincoln's adoption went so, so smoothly. From the minute we met Lincoln's birthmom, we had no doubts that the adoption would happen. Maybe it was just us being hopeful, but I think we knew that it was going to happen. But there are so many others who know theirs are going to happen and then they don't. Birthmothers change their minds, or fail to receive any support and don't think they can go through with it. And in an instant, things can change. The stories of the failed adoptions make me scared to adopt again because I don't know if I could handle the disappointment. Adoption is hard. Anyone who thinks it's the easy way to get a baby needs to think again.

3 comments:

bonnie jack said...

oh, i didn't like those stories. i can't even imagine. i don't want to imagine. i'm going to stop thinking about it now. i'm so glad you have lincoln.

Hill said...

Ugh, that breaks my heart. I think that would be the equivalent of a miscarriage or something. So sad.

Anonymous said...

That would be WAY, way worse than a miscarriage for me. At least for me, I don't bond with my babies until they're born. And then each day after that the bond gets stronger. The first story breaks my heart. How could you stand to watch your baby taken away from your loving home, only to go into foster care because his heroin-addict mother wanted it that way? How could any court rule that way?